Friday, May 11, 2007

Unconditional Prayer

We often hear of people talk about a love that is not made conditional upon repayment or exchange. Such a love gives without receiving or hope of receiving. It is capable of forming a bond between people where otherwise there would be none. In Christianity this is the source and summit of all spirituality. And if this is how we are to relate to each other, then certainly there is something to be said for relating to God in this way. Such a move would reconfigure the way that we pray. It would require a commitment to God without condition, calculation, or self-interest. If I had to name this commitment I would call it unconditional prayer.

An excellent starting place for thinking about this is the Baha'i Long Obligatory Prayer. In it are contained numerous petitions along these lines. One of my projects for the summer is to set down in writing an extended meditation on this rich and deeply complex prayer. In the future, I intend to use this space for articulating what I believe this prayer asks of God, and of us.

If I had to sum up the prayer's spirit in one of its lines I would choose this one.

Look not upon my hopes and my doings.
Nay, rather look upon Thy will that has encompassed the heavens and the earth.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I find this very interesting. I do believe that ideally my love for God should be unconditional, without need of proof that God loves me back. On the other hand my theology and life is based on the idea that God loves me no matter what. Furher more loves me first and will love me after I have stopped loving Her in return. So if definately goes two ways.

Peace and Joy,
Anna.