Monday, May 21, 2007

Return of the Cat

Alright, I'm back. I've been in Wisconsin since Wednesday visiting my sister and her fiance on account of her graduation. We got back yesterday afternoon. I might have posted something, but alas, I was exhausted. I have a few ideas floating around that I plan to turn into full-fledge entries sometime soon. It may take me a few days to get through them, so I thought I'd put something down now, lest they fall by the wayside and never get written.

For one, I'll be continuing with the Long Obligatory Prayer. I'm on what? the third section now? I'm moving rather slowly through the prayer, which concerns me because I only have a couple more weeks of free time to continue with this blog on a regular basis. But this next post should be fun. It will be on this brief passage that is recited in full prostration.

Exalted art Thou above the description of anyone save Thyself, and the comprehension of aught except Thee.

I've also got thinking up something on charismatic leadership within the faith, namely that there is a strategic spiritual advantage in having the Universal House of Justice be really quite dull as a leadership body.

Finally, I want do a piece on the place of politics within the Baha'i faith. The basic thrust will be that politics is too important to the faith for its members to get involved in particular expressions of politics this early stage in the faith's development. I'm writing this as somebody who has struggled and still struggles with the Baha'i principle of non-involvement in politics. But out of this struggle I have seen the value of the practice in a more concrete way then I would ever be able to had I not brushed up against it. It should be a fun post inasmuch as the personal and intellectual dimensions of this pursuit reinforce and encourage each other forward.

7 comments:

Shannon said...

wow, the Universal House of Justice has never seemed anything like dull to me. It's about the comtemporary, inspiring and exiting institution I have ever heard of, given it makes no effort to be popular and there is no personal charisma in the membereship, but that's what's so special about it....... Oh you and Jalal are going to be a riot together.

ayani_taliba said...

looking forward to this, Greg. it's a pleasure as always to read your blog.

Mr. Cat said...

I must say that the UHJ's messages are usually pretty inspiring. But granted, I'm Catholic. I'm still not used to seeing religious leaders in sport coats.

Plus, who can name of all of the members of the UHJ? Who can name any of them? Paul Lample is a name tha comes to mind. I think I got the spelling right. But if neither the names or faces are well known then it's not charismatic leadership. Or atleast it's not charismatic leadership in the way that I am thinking about it: leadership that arises firstly from charisma rather than institutional support.

Which for some reason reminds me that I should call Jalal before it gets too late. He found a good apartment for us to live in next year and we need to strategize.

ayani_taliba said...

"Which for some reason reminds me that I should call Jalal before it gets too late. He found a good apartment for us to live in next year and we need to strategize."

wow... so you're definately staying out in NM?

Mr. Cat said...

ummm....more or less.

Right now it's at the point where my parents are not fans of the plan, and there's still quite a few logistical things to work out. But yes, that's where things are heading.

Dan said...

Good, you should get out of Richmond. Blah blah blah, nothing I haven't said to your face already. Enjoy!

Spiritfish said...

I grew up in a household that had three pieces of art in it. The obligatory landscape painting above the couch, Salman's head of Christ upstairs and a bronze bust of JFK in the study. At dinner we talked politics and religion. When I was in college I chaired the Creative Peace Movement, and after one meeting someone told me about the Baha'i Faith. Not being political was one of the hardest things to follow through on --I mean my mother would decorate the house for election day.