Saturday, May 12, 2007

Turning towards "Thy will and Thy desire:" part one

When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed.
To turn, turn will be our delight,
'Til by turning, turning we come round right
-Simple Gifts
The second passage of the Long Obligatory is a prayer of turning, not just for the turn, but a testimony of the turn itself.
It begins: O Thou the Desire of the world and the Beloved of the nations, Thou seest me turning toward Thee.... When one turns ones changes direction, one gains a new perspective. What was once behind is now in front. What was once in front is now behind. The simple gift of faith is to turn to Thy will, and as the prayer continues, to be rid of all attachment to anyone save Thee, and clinging to Thy cord, through whose movement the whole creation hath been stirred up. The Shaker hymn quoted above illustrates turning well, that to bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed. Here there is a clarity of decision-making, of action, of lifestyle. One is at peace with a life of service in the path of God.
Behold me standing ready to do Thy will and Thy desire, and wishing naught else except Thy good pleasure.
What greater pain is there than to not be ready?
I'm starting college next week. Oh no! I'm not ready. I haven't started packing.
My girlfriend is pregnant. Oh no! I'm not ready. I don't want settle down just yet.
Death is at my doorstep. Oh no! I'm not ready. There are still so many things I have to say.
The law of change demands that we must move on, even when it means that it might drag us. The above line testifies to the joy of a life that has been set in order. It is to say before God that one has put their affairs in order, standing ready to do Thy will and Thy Desire.
Everybody it seems, likes to talk about vocation, about finding one's vocation, and living by it. But before a person can accept their vocation from God they must first be ready. They must have their own affairs in order. This isn't a path that we have to walk alone. Besides for ourselves, we can also help other people get their own affairs in order. Spirituality is not for ourselves. It is for God. And if it is for God then it is for everyone. We can support each other in our efforts to get our affairs in order, to become ready. This is the spiritual dimension to any social justice effort. When we prepare together, then we can turn together, and stand together in patient waiting before the will of God.
to be continued......

4 comments:

Anna said...

very interesting. One of the hardest things I've found is to order my life so that I can at once live it with a certian amount of sainity and so it will not draw me away from God. your massage speaks to me, or as Quakers' say "that Friend speaks my mind"

Peace and Joy,
Anna.

Mr. Cat said...

Baha'is refer to each other as the friends as well. It's one of my favorite corny jokes to say that whenever Quakers and Baha'is are together they are always "among friends"

ayani_taliba said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ayani_taliba said...

"Spirituality is not for ourselves. It is for God. And if it is for God then it is for everyone."

that is wonderful, Greg. another commentary on burning away the veil of seperation, i think. i'm reading this great book on Anne Lee, i'll pass it your way when you get back.